Tuesday, October 14, 2014

MY " ASSIGNMENT " FOR THE DAY


I once read that we are given an "assignment" for the day by God

Sometimes, as we go about our daily routines, we might not be aware but subconsciously we are already fulfilling our "assignment" for the day. I guess that was what happened to me recently.

Last Saturday, I attended an anticipated mass. While the priest was giving his homily, an old man seated beside me suddenly felt dizzy. I noticed that while we were about to take our seats to listen to the homily, his teenaged daughter suddenly grabbed her father by the waist and said he got dizzy. She was frantically trying to call her mother on her cellphone, but the mom was not answering her call. I motioned to the mass assistants (in charge of leading churchgoers to their seats) standing by the entrance to ask for help, and one of the guys approached me. I told him the man was not feeling well and asked if they had a clinic, and if possible to call the doctor. He said he will call the nurse and left. A lady assistant approached me and I requested for a glass of water as I noticed that the man's lips were turning gray. I told the lady assistant to tell the nurse to bring a sphygmomanometer so she could check the patient's blood pressure. I was afraid he might be suffering from a mild stroke. After about 5 minutes, the security guard came with a wheelchair. The man told me that he would just walk, but I insisted that he use the wheelchair in going to the clinic as he might be to weak to walk.

As they wheeled him out, he turned to me and managed to say in a very faint voice " thank you." The daughter apologized for the trouble. I told her not to mind it and just take care of her father. Her mother had already arrived by then.

After they left, the assistants were wondering why I stayed behind. As the mass was still ongoing, I opted to stay. Otherwise, I would have gone with them to the clinic. All the while the assistants thought he was my father as I was the one worried over him, and taking care of his needs. I told them I was just extending help to the man and his daughter.

Then I noticed that the visiting image of Our Lady of the Rosary (La Naval) was at the side of the altar. She would just be staying overnight and would be returned to Sto. Domingo church the following morning. She probably made it possible that I be seated beside the man so I could extend some help to him in whatever capacity I can. Most likely, that was my "assignment" for the day, and I could only hope I was able to do what was expected of me.

After the mass, I queued in front of the image of Our Lady so I could pray to her. In front of her image was a vase full of white daisies. I took a single stem so I could bring it home and offer it to the image of Our Lady of the Pillar which I have at home. It had been my habit to bring home a flower for her from among the flowers offered in church. That night, as I was checking my phone's calendar, I was reminded that the following day was the feast of Our Lady of the Pillar which escaped my mind. What a timely reminder that was, and I sure was glad I brought home a gift/ flower for her.

I know some people might say the events that took place that afternoon were just coincidence. I beg to disagree though. I don't believe in coincidence, but I do believe in destiny. I know I was destined to help that man, and the things that took place after were bound to happen. It was part of God's master plan for me.

I thank Jesus and Mama Mary for having made me their instrument once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment