Sunday, July 10, 2016

MY JOURNEY TOWARDS THE FULFILLMENT OF A DREAM (MISSION)


Blessed Teresa of Calcutta had always been my role model. My admiration for her grew even more after I read several books depicting her humble beginnings, struggles and hardships in life.

Her unwavering love for the poor laid the foundation for her desire to establish the congregation, Missionaries of Charity (MOC). However, she had to pass thru the proverbial "eye of a needle" before she could make this possible. It took years before her request was finally ratified, as not only the approval of the bishop and archbishop of her diocese was needed, but Vatican as well.

Even before Missionaries of Charity came into being, Blessed Teresa had already been helping the poor on her own. Upon the inception of the congregation, she was initially assisted by two young volunteer novices, until the number of sisters gradually escalated in number.

The lack of a permanent home or shelter where they could take care of the sick and the homeless, became a stumbling block in her mission. Through the grace of God however, someone offered them a small space at the basement of a dilapidated building which served as MOC's first sanctuary.

They had an immensely distressing situation due to lack of funds and relied merely on alms from kind-hearted individuals for their sustenance. Blessed Teresa roamed the streets in search of food and funds to sustain the congregation. Their arduous condition however did not hamper their effort of bringing home to the shelter homeless and sick people they found on the streets.

As a result of constant walking, there was a time when Blessed Teresa's sandals were ripped apart. She then searched for a pair of footwear from the used items donated to them, and chose the most worn out to replace her sandals. The shoes however were too small for her, but she decided to make do with the undersized shoes. Although there was a pair which matched her size, it was only slightly damaged, so she opted to give it instead to the street people under their care. As a result of wearing (and enduring) the undersized shoes, her toes became deformed over time. (Truly an act of supreme sacrifice)

A few months back, we were shocked at the news that four sisters from MOC's hospice in Yemen were murdered by the ISIS, and that their spiritual director, Fr. Tom, was taken hostage by the terrorist group. A sister, (the lone survivor of the terrorist attack) when asked how she felt about the incident, answered, "The sisters were not fearful as they knew their Bridegroom was waiting for them." (Spoken with much conviction)

Owing to my awareness of how grueling it had been for Blessed Teresa and MOC, (from the inception of the congregation to the present) it had been my ardent desire to visit and offer whatever help I could afford to share with the local MOC hospices. It had been in my bucket list for the longest time, but somehow because I was not familiar with the location of their hospices, I had always procrastinated on my planned visit. 

So I did my research and found the contact number of their hospice in Tayuman. I called and the lady who picked up the phone seemed to be crying and gasping for breath. Since she had difficulty speaking, she passed the phone over to Sister Eufracia. I asked the good sister if there was anything wrong with the lady, as I was upset and worried about her. I was astonished when Sister Eufracia replied, "She is very sick. She is terminally ill". I felt a lump in my throat and was speechless for a while. She explained to me that MOC is a home for the sick and the desolate. I asked where they get their funds, and she answered that they rely solely on donations. I was so concerned that I asked her what would happen if they run out of funds, to which she answered, "My child, God will provide". (Such an unwavering faith) I asked for directions on how to get there, but I could not relate with the landmarks she was telling me as I was not familiar with the Tayuman area.

In my heart, I know that Jesus and Mama Mary are aware of my desire to visit MOC, and they paved the way for my wish to come true. 

Last May, in line with the Jubilee Year of Mercy, two close friends and I went on a pilgrimage to designated churches in the Archdioceses of Manila and Paranaque. One of the churches we visited was Our Lady of Sorrows in Pasay City. 

While praying inside the church, I sort of noticed from the corner of my eye, what seemed to be a sister wearing the familiar blue and white habit of MOC. After I finished praying, I went out thru the side entrance to look for her, but she was gone. I went back inside and waited for my companions. On our way out, passing thru the main entrance (Sacred Door), I noticed a van parked along the side of the church with two sisters donning the MOC habit together with some ladies. I approached them and introduced myself. The sisters (Sister Monica and Sister Josette) said they were on a pilgrimage too. I asked if they are from the Tayuman hospice and they said they are from the one in Del Pan. I was not aware that there was one in Del Pan too. They informed me that the Tayuman hospice takes care of adults, while the one at Del Pan, takes care of children. I learned that they actually have four hospices here (Tayuman, Del Pan, Antipolo and Tanay). Sister Monica (a very endearing Bangladeshi sister) was gracious enough to give instructions on how to go to Del Pan. I asked for their visiting hours too. I told her I will try to seek out the place as I am not familiar with Tondo, to which she replied, "God will lead you there". (Another affirmation of faith) 

I really regard the words of wisdom spoken by the MOC sisters, which are truly inspiring. (And indeed, God did lead me there.)

As a result of my encounter with the sisters at the pilgrimage, I became more emphatic on paying them a visit. During a lunch date with some very close friends, I casually mentioned my intention and asked if they are interested to join me. Two of them readily affirmed since they are also advocates of charity work. A couple of years back, the three of us visited a home for the aged (Golden Acres). 

We settled on a date and decided to bring basic needs for the children (powdered milk, biscuits, fruit juices, toothpaste, shampoo, etc). The location of the Del Pan hospice was on a somewhat crowded street, typical of a locale in Tondo, but we managed to find it after asking directions from some people. It was a gated small compound which housed two relatively clean living quarters for the children. There is a small chapel (sans benches) with mats sprawled on the floor which the sisters kneel on for their thrice a day meditation. Sister Monica was so glad to see us. She led us to the children who were very much behaved, and even sang for us. We assisted the caretakers in feeding the children. The sisters were very grateful for our visit. Sister Monica also made a plea that I continue praying for the safety of Father Tom, and for the MOC sisters as well.

After we left the hospice, I couldn't explain the feeling that enveloped me. There was a mixed feeling of sadness about the plight of the children and the sisters, gratitude to God for giving us the chance to be able to help in whatever way possible, and most importantly the fulfillment of a much desired dream (mission). What perfect timing as it materialized during the "Year of Mercy".

I could sense that Divine Intervention was unmistakably present, and somehow, I know Jesus, Mama Mary and Blessed Teresa must be smiling from Heaven. 

I sincerely hope people who have more in life would share their blessings not only with MOC, but other charitable institutions as well. The amount doesn't matter, as long as it comes from the heart. After all, nothing is too small in the eyes of God.

I am looking forward to Blessed Teresa's canonization on September 4 of this year. Thank you Blessed Teresa for interceding to make the realization of my dream possible. I will definitely be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment