Saturday, March 22, 2014

THE POWER OF WORDS (THIS MADE MY DAY.)


They say words can either make or break you.

Sometimes, all it takes are two simple, but powerful words, to change the way you look at things or perceive life to be.

I attended mass this afternoon. I was seated at the last row with the aisle at my right. When the mass was about to start, the usher politely asked if I could move one seat to the left to give way to an elderly man who was walking very slowly with the aid of two canes. He was alone, which made me wonder why a seemingly disabled person would be allowed to walk around by himself. It is quite normal to see senior citizens limping with the aid of a cane, but with two canes, his might be a serious case after all. He was a bit stocky, so I pulled up the kneeler so it would be more convenient for him to glide easily into his seat. It took quite a while before he could finally take his seat as I saw the look on his face, grimacing in pain when he slowly tried to sit. He remained seated all throughout the mass, as I could only surmise that he feels pain whenever he moves his back, his hips, or any part of his body for that matter.

When communion time came, he tried very hard to stand. I tried to support his back as I was afraid he might lose his balance. The usher then came over and advised him that they will just request a lay minister to administer communion to him so he wouldn't have to stand and line up at the aisle. After everyone had finished, the lay minister went to him and gave him communion.

When the mass was almost over, he turned to me and said, "Thank you for sharing your seat." I asked if he was alone and he said his wife is with him but is seated somewhere else since there is only one vacant seat in our pew. After the mass, the usher and I helped him get up and I waited till his wife came to be with him.

I was so touched when he said, "Thank You". It is rather uncommon to hear people say that when you allow latecomers to squeeze beside you in an otherwise filled up pew. This is a perfect example of someone who knows how to be grateful, something most people take for granted.

What is more admirable though, and a complete sacrifice on his part if I may say so, is his willingness to attend mass despite the difficulty he has in walking, plus the pain he has to endure every time he stands or sits. I offered a prayer that he be healed completely.

I would also like to say "Thank You" to him. Thank you for being cognizant of even the smallest things people do for you, for going out of your way to attend mass, not minding the hardships you have to endure, and most of all, for making me realize that despite the negative things happening in the world today, there is still someone who makes this world a beautiful place to live in.

Lastly, "Thank You" for making my day. Those two simple but powerful words are music to my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment