Sunday, June 14, 2015

SO MUCH TO BE GRATEFUL FOR



As a new chapter of my life unfolds, I am thankful for God's continuous love and presence in my life, and truly grateful for all my answered prayers.

Just recently, I went through a very distressing situation which involved someone very close to me. I've prayed for a lot of people because I always get prayer requests from friends. I am the kind of person, who when I acknowledge a prayer request, really prays for the intention. I was very much affected since the person concerned is a very dear friend of mine. I really prayed hard. In fact, I guess I've never prayed that hard before. I also offered masses for special intention. 

I am accustomed to praying to Jesus and Mama Mary, but I must admit it was the first time I asked St. Joseph for an earnest request. I knew in my heart that he is the most powerful intercessor (next to Mama Mary), being the foster father of Jesus. If there was anyone whom Jesus cannot refuse, aside from Mama Mary, it was St. Joseph. 

All throughout the days that I was praying to him, I could sense his presence (not physically of course). It was as if he was conveying a message that he was mindful of my request, and to give him my full trust as he would intercede for me. Manifestations of his presence were: finding an image of the Sleeping St. Joseph (whom I had been searching for the longest time) at the store which sells religious items in Don Bosco; seeing a St. Joseph statue at Mary Queen of Hope chapel which I never noticed before; and sighting a newly enshrined St. Joseph statue at Sto. Nino de Paz chapel. It seems that everywhere I went, he was there. A few days after these occurrences, my prayer was answered. I was overwhelmed with so much joy and gratitude that I immediately offered a thanksgiving mass. 

Truly our prayers never fall on deaf ears. They will be granted for as long as God thinks it is best for us. Otherwise, we just have to rely on His judgment. After all, it is our faith that sustains us.

God always chooses the right people who are meant to be in our lives. I am thankful for my best friend who is always willing to listen when I need someone to talk to, or seek an advice from, no matter what time of day (or night). He is a very busy person as his profession entails a lot of meetings with clients, but he willingly cancelled a very important appointment to spend the day with me on my birthday. I remember a post in Facebook which says, " Value the people who spend time with you when they are free, but treasure the people who free their time to be with you."  I couldn't agree any better.

I am also grateful to all my friends, relatives and acquaintances who remembered my birthday and sent warm greetings through Facebook, SMS and over the phone. I make it a point to acknowledge greetings individually on Facebook, no matter how burdensome it may seem to most people. To post just a one-liner reply, thanking everyone who greeted you is very impersonal. If people took the effort to type " Happy Birthday ", why can't we take the time to type " Thank You " to each of them? We must be mindful that people always have a choice. It doesn't follow that just because a notification was received that it is your birthday, people will automatically greet you. They can choose not to, if they so desire. The fact that they did, means you are special to them and should be appreciated and most importantly acknowledged. As a priest mentor once said, " The greatest sin is ingratitude." 

People should never be taken for granted and should be accorded with respect all the time, such that in the end, there will be no room for regrets. We know that life is short, so let us value everyone who gives meaning to our lives while we still can. Life is precious and so are they. 



No comments:

Post a Comment