Sunday, July 17, 2011

OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL AND THE SCAPULAR

July 16 is the feast day of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

It is also happens to be the birthday of my mom. Her name is Carmen, having been named after our Lady.

My mom was a devotee of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and her scapular. It is from her where I got my devotion to the scapular as well.

It has been my habit (and still is) to buy scapulars and give them away to friends telling them about the significance of wearing one, and that is the promise of our Lady that anyone who dies wearing a scapular will not suffer from eternal fire.

It is also a sign of salvation and protection from danger. Our Lady promised that on the saturday following our death, she will go to Purgatory and free all souls who have a devotion to the scapular and lead them to Heaven.

It is important that you have faith and devotion when you wear one. It is not something that you wear as a fashion accessory or an amulet, which sad to say, some do especially the younger ones.

My parents who are both devotees died wearing their scapulars. And I know that they are now sharing peace and eternal happiness with Jesus and Mama Mary.

Wouldn't you wish to experience this too someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment