Tuesday, April 3, 2012

WHAT KIND OF FRIEND AM I?

I have always thought of myself as a sincere, concerned and loyal friend. At least that's how my friends describe me. And maybe, just maybe I might be inclined to agree with them. Why?

The truth is I do have a deep concern for my friends. I always want to know how they are doing. I also pray that they continue to be in the best of health. It pains me a lot when my friends get indisposed. I commiserate with them and can almost feel the pain they are going through. I also get affected when they open up their problems with me.

I am loyal too. The moment I become your friend I would remain as one regardless of who or what you turn out to be, good or bad.

I accept people in my life for what they are and not for what I want them to be.

Putting all these aside however, I am inclined to second-guess on what kind of friend I really am. Let me tell you why.

You see I have a friend whom I love very much. He accepts me for who I am even though sometimes I dissapoint him for not being able to do what is expected of me. He is very forgiving even though I 've hurt him countless times. His patience never runs out on me.

Everytime I need him he is there for me, but can I honestly say the same for myself?

Much as I want to answer in the affirmative, I have to be truthful and say no. I am far from being the kind of friend he is to me.

There was a time when he was being tortured, humiliated and stipped of his dignity, but I was not able to do anything to preclude the agony he was subjected to. Of course I could always use the flimsy excuse that I was not around yet when that happened. While it maybe true at that time, but what about now? A lot of people continue to hurt him, maybe myself included, but what am I doing to avert this? How can I shield him from all the pain?

I can feel that sense of guilt all over again. It makes me wonder what kind of friend I truly am.

Do I really deserve the love he has for me? Maybe not, but I know he does and will never stop loving me because his love for me is unconditional.

I always tell him that I love him even though sometimes it doesn't seem so. I know he believes me. He always does.

He is after all my best friend, and your friend too.

You call him Jesus, I call him Friend.





 





No comments:

Post a Comment