Wednesday, August 10, 2011

MISSING MY "HOUSEMATE"

It's been 3 lonely days since my television set broke down.

My tv has a customized revolving base which I had specifically requested to enable me to watch my favorite programs from various angles or places in the house. It is conveniently situated in a spot wherein there is a small open area between the bedroom and the living room such that I can have access to it when I am in either of these areas.

On a lazy Monday afternoon, I was watching the live Congressional hearing of the Pagcor anomaly in the living room when I felt my eyes getting heavy so I decided to turn the set to a different angle so I can watch it from my bedroom. While I was revolving it, all of a sudden the picture went off and total blackness engulfed the screen with only the words "No Signal" appearing on the lower part. The audio however was still on. I tried to adjust the various cables at the back of the set (connection to the digital box, dvd player, internet, etc.) but to no avail.

Sensing it to be another one of those hopeless cases, I decided to call the service provider to request for a technician but was told he would be available only after 2 days since there were a lot of service requests that came before me.

Today happens to be the 3rd day and while I was anxiously waiting for the technician to arrive this afternoon, the girl from the service center called to inform me that the technician had to take the afternoon off since he was not feeling well. In lieu of this, they would be sending another one to take his place but it had to wait till tomorrow. Oops, another miserable day for me.

I miss the company of my tv. It has been some sort of a "housemate" to me. I never realized it would be this lonely without it. It keeps me company throughout the day during the times when I have to stay home. I must admit the sound from the boob tube has sort of become music to my ears. Now everything is so quiet all around.

Although I have music from my cds to brighten an otherwise gloomy day, there is still that longing for the different kind of noise that comes out from that box.

I also feel so detached from the world. I have no idea what's going on in the outside world. Even though my laptop and the internet are possible alternatives, still it wouldn't be at par with the joy I get from watching the news and my favorite shows on television.

Truly the saying, you'll never realize the value of something until you've lost it applies to me.

But suffice it to say I learned my lesson. From now on, I'll take extra care of my tv. I would also refrain from turning it around so I can watch from a different angle. Never mind if the purpose for which I had the revolving base made would not be put to use anymore. That can be dispensed with anyway. I guess instead of adjusting the base, it is I who would have to adjust my viewing preference.

I'll be hitting the sack now, happy in the thought that barring any untoward incident again, I will be reunited with my "housemate" tomorrow.

A pleasant night and looking forward to a lovely day ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment