Monday, September 5, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA MARY

My dearest Mama Mary, today we are celebrating your birthday once again.

As in previous years, I had been thinking of what to offer you on your birthday.

Unlike in the years past though, when it was already your birthday and I still couldn't think of what to give you, this year you sort of made it easy for me by giving me an idea of what you desire.

Three days ago, I received a text from a friend asking if it would be so gracious of me to be one of the sponsors of a feeding program for undernourished children in a relocation site somewhere in Laguna. They need people who will sponsor one child each for the year 2012 and help feed these hungry kids. This is a project of a priest who happens to be a mutual friend of ours.

To be honest, at first I couldn't commit myself knowing how limited my resources are. In my heart however, I was certain that this is one gift that would truly make you happy. Remember my birthday wish last June, when I was seeking your guidance to lead me to those who need assistance badly. You did not fulfill my birthday wish and I know you had a reason for that. You always do.

Now it is very clear to me. Maybe it is because you believe that this is a more appropriate time for you to fulfill my wish because it would make you really happy on your birthday.

And I couldn't be happier myself. Helping others has always given me a sense of fulfillment.

Thank you for giving me a reason to smile again. Except for that heartwarming incident with the old lady sampaguita vendor last Good Friday, the last time I experienced a state of bliss was when I was able to bring some joy to retired priests and bishops, Christmas of 2009. Last Christmas, it was a phone call from Father Mike of the Blessed Sacrament Congregation that somehow brought tears of joy to my eyes. Little things do mean a lot.

I know as always, you will be getting lots of flowers and bouquets during several masses to be held in your honor today. You will also be receiving the traditional solitary blue rose that I give you every year, which obviously pales in comparison to the beautiful flower arrangements set up at the altar for you. I do know however that it is your favorite, and that only you and I know the reason why.

Happy Birthday my dearest Mama Mary. I love you so much. Thank you for always giving me your unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment