Friday, December 16, 2011

A LITTLE RESPECT PLEASE

Christmas is just a few days away. Most people look forward to this occassion as a day of merrymaking, reunions, festive meals, etc. They seem to forget the real essence of Christmas which is the birth of Baby Jesus.

I also find it truly disgusting whenever I hear people say Xmas instead of Christmas. Why substitute Christ with X? To me this is a sign of total disrespect. X is not and will never be tantamount to Christ.

Another thing I find disrespectful is when I see young women going to church to attend mass wearing skimpy shorts, sandos, spaghetti straps, etc. and receiving Holy Communion at that. I wonder where their sense of decency lies. It seems that they are not aware of the type of clothing that can be considered modest and appropriate to be worn in church. Either that or they simply couldnt't care less.

When I was a little girl I remember seeing women go to church wearing veils. To me that was a gesture of utmost respect. Also receiving holy communion in sleeveless dresses or blouses was taboo.

But times have changed and Vatican became more lenient and gave way to modern practices such as discarding of veils inside the church. While we do conform with changes being a part of life, still we should not discount the fact that we have to wear something decent everytime we go to church, much more when we attend mass.

There is nothing wrong in keeping up with the times but it should be done in the proper perspective, especially when you are in the house of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment