Saturday, December 10, 2011

NO RETIREMENT PAY, NO PENSION...............

I am deeply saddened every time I remember the plight of members of the clergy.

These men of the cloak had chosen this vocation because of their desire to serve God above everything else. Although fully aware of the hardship they would encounter and the sacrifices that this job entails, they chose to do it anyway.

We must however remember that priests go through retirement too. But unlike most retirees, they neither have a retirement pay to speak of, or pension to sustain them for a lifetime.

Since they do not have families of their own, where do they go from here? They are lucky if they get to live in retirement homes for priests. But others have nowhere to go.

These retirement homes however lack the necessary funds to sustain taking care of these members of the clergy who are in their twilight years. They were established and are being managed by the private sector who rely merely on donations from kind hearted souls. As such they cannot provide for their basic needs such as food, clothing, medicine, etc. We must remember that the residents here are all senior citizens and being such are prone to all kinds of illnesses.

I am blessed because this Christmas and Christmas of 2009, I was able to do my share no matter how small in putting a smile on the faces of our retired bishops and priests.

Ever year I ask Mama Mary and Jesus to lead me to those who are in dire need of help and they always answer my prayer.

In 2009, after several months of trying to find people who need help, financial or otherwise, Mama Mary's message came to me on the feast of the Immaculate Conception. Truly this is not a matter of coincidence. During mass in our parish, it was announced that they have a fund raising project for retired bishops and priests and they were looking for kind hearted souls who are interested to help. So I signed up and was able to donate medicine, adult milk, etc. It brought so much joy to me.

About two weeks ago, I was asking Mama Mary what Christmas gift I could give her and Jesus. I reminded her that I get a sense of fulfillment only when I am able to help others. I asked her to lead me once again to those who need help the most. While attending mass last Dec.8, to my delectation the priest announced that they were reviving the Munting Handog Program for retired bishops and priests. (This was not implemented last year for reasons I am not aware of.) I was thrilled because this was the sign from Mama Mary that I had been waiting for all along. And for the second time it transpired on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

I am overjoyed because once again I was used as an instrument to be of help to others.

I just wish I had more resources so I could give more. But then again, God does not take into account how big or small we spend to help others. It is the deed or the intention that matters after all.

I will be having a Merry Christmas again this year for truly it is in sharing our blessings with the less fortunate that give meaning to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment