Monday, July 13, 2009

TRIBUTE TO MY MOM

A PRICELESS TREASURE

When I feel so downhearted and trouble comes my way
You're there to guide and understand every word I say
When I'm in my darkest hour, you're a light that shines on me
And I offer God endless thanks, for having given you Mom to me
With you by my side, I know I can't do wrong
I'll fulfill your every dream and it wouldn't be for long
I'll always cherish your memory up to the time I grow old
For what you've been to me is a treasure that can't be sold.


I wrote this poem for my mom way back my high school days. It was her death anniversary last July 12, and her birthday is on July 16. My mom's name is Carmen, having been born on the feast day of our Lady of Mount Carmel, from whom she was named. This explains her devotion to the Scapular, which she passed on to me. To this day, I never leave the house without my scapular.

My mom died after a lingering illness. She was hospitalized for several months. Although her doctors told us that hers was a terminal case, I kept praying and hoping that she would get well.

I was very close to my mom, being an only daughter. She was my best friend, confidante, the sister I never had. That 12 th day of July was the saddest day of my life. It was on that fateful day that my mom was reunited with her Creator. The death of a loved one is something we cannot prepare ourselves for. Even though we know that sooner or later they are going to die, still when the inevitable comes, we still find ourselves unprepared for the tragedy.

For you out there, who are lucky to still have your parents around, take the time to show them you care. Value them and tell them you love them every chance you've got. Cherish your time with them, before it is too late. Time is running out.

No comments:

Post a Comment